SNC Condemns Damascus Explosions and Holds the Regime Responsible
Friday, 11 May 2012
The Syrian National Council (SNC) accused the Assad regime of orchestrating the explosions that took place in Damascus Thursday morning resulting in dozens killed and hundreds wounded. The SNC said, "In orchestrating such acts, the regime seeks to prove its claims of the existence of 'armed terrorist gangs' in the country that are hindering its so-called 'efforts of political reform.'"
According to news agencies, 55 people were killed and 372 were injured in the near-simultaneous car bombs that went off in the al-Qazaz district of Damascus at around 8 a.m. Thursday near the Palestine branch military intelligence center. The larger of the two explosions created a three-meter-deep crater in the city's southern ring road. Images from the site of the explosions showed corpses and body parts strewn on the road. Other images showed destruction to buildings, roads and cars in the vicinity as stacks of smoke filled the sky.
As has been the case with other previous explosions that took place in Syria, the regime was quick to blame al-Qaeda for the attacks without providing evidence to back up its claim. Activists noted that there are several indications proving the regime was responsible for these attacks:
At first, only a small explosion went off. As soon as civilians gathered in the area, the second and larger explosion occurred, indicating that the goal was to kill as many civilians as possible.
The larger explosion took place on the other side of the road and away from the Military Intelligence Center, which refutes the claim that the security branch was being targeted.
The security branch is heavily guarded and surrounded with cement barriers at a distance from the exterior fence. It would be reckless to carry out such an attack, because it would in no way impact the security building.
One of the cars was loaded with a large amount of explosive materials. How is it possible that these explosives made it past hundreds of security checkpoints surrounding the entrance to the capital?
Moayad Hussain al-Sebai, who was killed during the explosion today, had been detained by the regime and appeared among the victims after the blasts. The regime is using its prisoners as victims of its attacks to avoid investigations into their deaths while at the same time claiming the involvement of armed terrorist groups.
One of the victims appeared to be tied up inside a car in the footage that was released after the attack.
In one of the images of the explosion site showing the destruction to buildings that occurred, a picture of Hafez al-Assad hangs unscathed.
The SNC said that the regime staged these explosions "to spur chaos, disrupt the work of the international observers, and divert attention away from other crimes being committed by its forces elsewhere." The SNC pointed out that while people were occupied by the explosions, the regime carried out arbitrary arrests across the country, most notable in the Damascus suburb of Damir.
The SNC concluded by extending its condolences to the families of the victims of the attacks, and prayed that those who were injured are granted a speedy recovery. The SNC affirmed that it would ensure the prosecution of the Syrian regime to the full extent of international law for the heinous crimes it has committed in Syria.